You have probably heard by now that you can make a phone call using Gmail.
I can verfiy…it works! But voice only, no video…..yet.
Here is how it worked:
- Using my trusty Toshiba laptop (now over 4 years old and going strong) I got on my Gmail account and saw the prompt “Call Phone”. (I used my Chat 50 as the speaker / mic, but, it would be much better at AltamontCowork to use a headset with a mic.)
- I clicked in “Call Phone” and up popped the dialer you see at the head of this blog.
- I put in a number then quickly realized that I could enter a persons name or a partial name (like the first letter) and see a list of contacts (that have a telephone number listed in the contact info) you can call with that first letter.
- I selected the person I wanted to call…..me (hey, I’m an interesting fellow), and clicked the “Call” button.
- I heard ringing on the computer, and also, eventually, on my cell phone. I answered and could hear the full conversation (no echo, which was very interesting).
- I hung up.
Easy as 3.14.
If you have Google Voice, you can set it up so anyone calling your GV number calls your computer. I am having soooo much fun with my new HTC Aria….I’ll keep it as my phone. Dialing out is good enuf for me….
NOW….all they need is video and we can have:
If my instructions on making a Gmail call (above) were too boring…the good folks at CNET made a video: